Great Devotional Guest Post by Cathy Bryant


I Can Do It Myself?
by Cathy Bryant, (c) 2008

When my boys were little, it wasn't uncommon to hear them say, "I can do it myself, Mommy." The older I get, the more I see similarities between things my children did and things I do as a child of the Father.

How many times have I tried to "do it myself," to exert my independence?

I'm not advocating laziness or a lack of personal responsibility, but for the most part, I think we are far too dependant on ourselves and not dependant enough on God.

If you think about it, the whole idea is ludicrous. He's God; we're not. Why would we want to do anything on our own?

"Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain." (Psalm 127:1)

All of our effort is empty, "unless the LORD" is behind it. Nothing we do can be successful and meaningful "unless the LORD" blesses it and brings it to fruition.

Our next heartbeat or breath depends upon God. The Bible says we are like grass or a vapor. We're not guaranteed one moment past the one we are currently experiencing.

God, on the other hand, is eternal and unchanging. He is all-powerful and all-knowing. He is in control.

I want to be more dependant on Him and less dependant upon myself and my efforts. Anything else is foolish vanity.

Dear Father and Creator of the Universe,

Forgive my tendency to do things on my own. How presumptuous I can be! I am a speck of dust; the entire universe cannot contain You. My strengths and abilities are nothing compared with Your awesome power. You only had to speak to create the world. Help me, Lord, to seek You and Your will in all my endeavors. Use this vessel in whatever way You choose.

In Jesus' name,
Amen.


BIO:

A Texas gal since birth, Cathy lives in a century-old farmhouse with her husband and a phobia-ridden cat. Her debut novel, TEXAS ROADS, was a 2009 ACFW Genesis finalist and tells the story of a disillusioned widow's quest to find home. The book is available through Amazon.com. For more information, visit www.CatBryant.com.

Comments

Popular Posts