River's Song by Melody Carlson



I worked in a bookstore for 8 years and whenever anyone asked for Christian teen books or clean young adult ones, I always recommended Melody Carlson.  However, I had never read anything by her until now.  I have heard so many great things about her books, and now I can agree!

River's Song is a unique narrative about Anna Larson, who returns home for her mother's funeral and finds that she wants the return to be permanent.  Anna moves back into the home of her youth and invites a history buff to stay in her grandmother's old cottage and research Anna's Indian heritage.  As Anna works to turn her parents old store into an inn, her emotional wounds begin to heal.

It is a personal growth story with a message of forgiveness, second chances, and letting go.   The Christian message was not overt, but there was a Christian worldview, (moments of prayer and turning to God for help).  In my opinion that aspect could have been a little stronger.  Even the minor characters were beautifully and uniquely created. The setting was vivid; the events and emotions realistic.

I am reading Homeward on my kindle next, and I am looking forward to it.  I would absolutely recommend River's Song and/or Melody Carlson!

Thanks to Leann Hambly and Glass Road Public Relations for my review copy. The above review is my honest opinion about the book!

Comments

Popular Posts