Sleeping through Fireworks

Watching the fireworks last night, I witnessed a vivid picture of finding rest in the Father.  In Matthew 11:28-29, Jesus says "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."  Isaiah 30:15 says this: "This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says: 'In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength."  

My two year old son was not sure about the loud cracks and bright explosions in the air.  As the fireworks began, his face slowly dropped, his bottom lip jutting out with little whimpers escaping.  I pulled him onto my lap and he said, "stroller."  He wanted to go home.  I asked if he wanted to lay down with daddy, and he nodded.  I laid him down on his daddy's shoulder and he held on tight.  Within minutes he had fallen asleep.  Fear forgotten, he was secure in His daddy's arms.  Wow!  Regardless of what is happening around us or to us, we can rest in Him.  He is our protector and provider--our strong tower, where we find refuge.  Safe and protected in our Father's arms we can find rest and security in any and every situation because He is always there.  We just need to go to Him!  We can rest, forget the world around us, and know that we are safe in His arms! 

Psalm 46:10
He says, "Be still, and know that I am God..."
Psalm 144:2
He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge...
Proverbs 18:10
The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous man runs into it and is safe.



Comments

Popular Posts