Journey to the Well

Journey to the Well by Diana Wallis Taylor is a good book.  It is the first book that I finished on my kindle!  I truly enjoyed both the book and the kindle.  The book is a great fictional retelling of the Biblical story of the Samaritan woman at the well.  At 13, Marah finds herself given in marriage to a man that she doesn't love, and as the years pass, circumstances force her to take multiple husbands.  From before her first marriage, Marah dreamed of a man taking her hand, and the dream always left her with peace.  Finally the day comes when she meets this man who is the source of peace.  

This book made me think about how women were treated during those times, and what this particular woman may have gone through.  I learned more about the culture and practices of that time period. The characters are well-developed, and the emotions are real.  I liked how Taylor spun the background of the story, and I loved the extra Biblical references added to the plot (the good Samaritan and the 10 lepers).  After Jesus visited the well, the change in Marah and the rest of the town was extreme.  That change influenced others to follow Jesus as well.  Isn't this the way it should be!?!  Our lives should be different because we have met/know Jesus.  The change in us, should lead others to our Savior.  This novel was a beautiful depiction of forgiveness, hope, and salvation.  I have it on the kindle, and I actually own it in book form as well.  I'll be sharing the book with family members, and I would recommend it to anyone!  

Comments

I really want to read this one! I'm glad it's so good.
2 Kids and Tired Books

Popular Posts