curse of the nautilus

 Title: Curse of the Nautilus

Author: Ralynn Kimie

Genre: Fantasy, 

Pg Count: 428

Trigger Warning: Sexual assault, rape

Some spoilers included


Villain origin story, mythology/ Little Mermaid fan fiction. Ralynn Kimie provides interesting possibility of how the Sea Witch became who we all know and hate. In this universe, I did not hate her, I hurt for her. Her suffering created the monster she became. 

This story revolves around Anela, daughter of the Goddess, Hi'iaka and Triton, son of Poseidon.  When Triton washes ashore Anela's beach, her mother insists that they help and protect him. Anela doesn't understand why she has to help this siren known to hate and kill humans, but she is drawn to him.   When her mother has to leave the island, the two begin a passionate and tumultuous relationship. Anela does what her mother prompted and ends up sacrificing everything for Triton's safety and return to his home. 

I enjoyed this book, the speculation and impact of trauma on a person's character. I wish I had known about the closed door/ cleaner version because I would have rather read that one.  I personally felt that sexual details included were unnecessary and did not add to the story. I appreciate that there is another version because this was so closely tied to Little Mermaid that I think it could make a fun young adult story. As it is written, I absolutely do not recommend this to young readers as there are some explicit scenes (including rape). I would recommend it for mature readers though. It was an interesting and easy read with creative characters and creatures, genuine family relationships, and suspenseful action.

Comments

Popular Posts