The Rent Collector

Years ago, I read a book that has stuck with me ever since.  I will always remember the power and emotion of that book.  It was Letters for Emily by Camron Wright.  Before I discuss his new book, I highly recommend reading this one!!  When I was given the opportunity to read and review Camron's new book, The Rent Collector, I was hopeful to experience some of that emotion again.  I was not disappointed.  This book is quite different from his other novel; however the thoughts, emotions, and images it provokes are equally powerful.

Sang Ly is a young mother who lives in a large dump in Cambodia with her husband and their one small child, Nisay.  Nisay is very sick, and Sang Ly wants to do everything she can to help him.  She discovers something about the rent collector of her neighborhood, and seeks help in an unexpected way.
This book is about the grittiness of life and relationships.  It stresses both hardships and unexpected blessings and delivers strong messages about hope and beauty.  I would definitely recommend it!

Comments

Popular Posts