Brief Hiatus into Young Adult Books


My sister is a third grade teacher. She lent me two young adult series, and she starts school this week. So I took a short break from my usual reading material and read the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, The Lightning Thief, The Sea of Monsters, The Titan's Curse, The Battle of the Labyrinth, and The Last Olympians. They were exciting books, and although a little dark, I did enjoy them. There were great adventures and it was interesting to be reintroduced to the characters from Greek mythology and classic literature. When I finished the series, I found myself comparing the True God to the gods in these stories. One of the things that struck me is that in the stories the children of the gods are often left unclaimed and on their own; but as unworthy as we are, Our God, Our Father does claim us as His own. He is intimately involved in every detail of our lives. I am so thankful for His love and involvement in my life!

While I came away in awe of the One True God, these books could be confusing for young readers. I encourage parents to read them with your children so that you can discuss the falsehoods conveyed within the story. While I know they are "just fiction books," young minds are impressionable and half-truths or veiled lies are dangerous--It is always smart to know what your children are reading and to talk about what they can learn from it (or what they shouldn't learn!)


Comments

Popular Posts