Guest Post: Author Cathy Bryant

I Don't Love You Like I Used To
by Cathy Bryant, © 2010

"I don't love you like I used to,
When nothing came between my God and me.
And somehow it seems I've lessened my dependence,
And wonder why it's not the way it used to be..." (fromTake Me Back as performed by Anointed)

The words spilled from my mouth as I stood before the congregation to sing that Sunday morning, but they also pierced my heart. Why, oh why, do I have a tendency to wander away from the Shepherd who loves, comforts and protects me? How do other things creep in between us until I no longer feel His Presence?

The answer? One compromise at a time.

One skipped opportunity to linger with Him in the morning before I rush helter-skelter into a new day fraught with snares the enemy places in my path.

One hurried and harried prayer to replace the times when I bare my soul and heart for His tender probing and tending.

One neglected chance to say a kind word or perform a simple good deed.

"I AM the Good Shepherd; I know My sheep and My sheep know me--just as the Father knows Me and I know the Father--and I lay down My life for the sheep." ~John 10:14-15 (NIV)

Dear Father and Shepherd of our hearts,


As we enter this month celebrating love, may we never forget the love relationship You established with us by laying down Your life. God, we confess that we have the tendency to wander--not intentionally--but in our human frailty and weakness. Lord, this year, this month, this day, this hour, this moment, we want to know You better. Help us to remember that love relationships require time and effort, but the rewards are indescribable. Hold us close, dear Lord. Help us to love You like never before.


In Jesus' Name,
Amen

BIO:

A Texas gal since birth, Cathy lives in a century-old farmhouse with her husband and a phobia-ridden cat. Her debut novel, TEXAS ROADS, was a 2009 ACFW Genesis finalist and tells the story of a disillusioned widow's quest to find home. The book is available through Amazon.com. For more information, visit www.CatBryant.com.

Comments

quilly said…
This rings so true. Every time I realize God is distant and I turn to look for him, I find that I am the one who moved away.
Casey said…
I hope to read Cathy's book someday.

Have you heard of Cathy's Summer Splash contest? Great fun and going on NOW through July! Check it out on her blog!!

Popular Posts