Turn your Worries into Hope

One night last month, my twelve year old, left for youth group (while I was still at work) in 20 degree weather, no coat, forgetting it was sled riding night.  90 minutes later, I pick him up and see him walking through the snow to the car, in his Slytherin sweatshirt, pink nose and red fingers.  He holds them up to the heater, stating "they are so cold, they are hot and as they heat up they're burning." Yep, great.  So I, of course, am frustrated asking why he didn't wear a coat, why he was allowed to play in the snow for over an hour without even a coat on, wondering if he was going to get sick and grumbling about responsibility.  

My teenagers, especially the boys, do not see risks in everything, like I do.  My 16 year old, who has only driven on the road once, thinks he is a fantastic driver and ready for his test already. Neither wear a coat unless I hound them, often they don't carry money with them, they let their phones die, forget to tell me where they are going or when they will be late - And never think about consequences. I on the other hand always worry, what if.  

Is that a part of child-like faith. Is my need to cover all our bases, make my kids wear coats and report locations stem from sinful fears and worries/ lack of trust in God.  

As an expert in trauma, I understand that most of our fears are from past painful learning.  Not necessarily from my own experiences, but from new reports, books, and stories of things that have happened to others. I have learned both from my own personal experiences and from the experiences of other what "could" happen.  

We need to be responsible and wise in our actions and decisions, but we also need to trust.  My son played outside in freezing weather without a coat.  I didn't know until after and at that point there was nothing I could do to change it.  He didn't get sick (well, he did but not until after his dad, then I got,  sick first!) I need to remember that "could" is not "will." Worry always focuses on what COULD happen, what may happen IF...Worry is the opposite of Hope, and hope is my favorite word.  I wish I could say I don't worry, but I do. Sometimes it takes me too long to turn my worries to prayer, to remember the Prayer turns Worry into Hope.  Not hope in an outcome, but hope in the One who never leaves me;  Hope in the eternity that He has promised me, and hope that even if my worst "could" turns into a reality, His Truth and Love Never Changes.  



Comments

Popular Posts