The Boxcar Children Beginning: BOOK REVIEW

 
Title: The Boxcar Children Beginning
Author: Patricia MacLachlan
Genre: Historical Fiction, Chapter book, middle grade fiction
pg count: 119 pages

First, my mom was an elementary teacher for years while growing up. She taught kindergarten, second and third grade. Sarah, Plain and Tall was always one of her favorite books, and I want to give Patricial Maclachlan credit for that! I may just have to dig it out and re-read it for my mom's sake. 

I grew up reading The Boxcar Children series by Gertrude Chandler Warner. This prequel was a fun little jump back in time for me.  Being reintroduced to Henry, Jessi, Violet, and Benny took me back to the first magical adventure I took with them when I was around 7 years old.  MacLachlan introduces us to the children's parents before tragedy hits and they break out on their own. Before they make the wonderful Boxcar into their home, they live on a farm. They are the "best family." The children spend a wonderful summer playing outside, doing chores, making memories and friends, and helping others in the midst of the budding depression. 

This was a sweet and quick run down memory lane.  The simple writing allows for young early readers to enjoy on their own. There are many silly scenes that are sure to bring a smile to the reader's face, as well as emotional content that will create deep feelings. Kids are sure to love the beginning adventures of these siblings. 

Memorable Quote: "My mother said that life is a journey," said Meg. "And we're travelers." at 22% kindle

Thanks to Netgalley for my ecopy of this book. 

 

Comments

Popular Posts