Generational Worry

 Generational Sin: I am a worrier.  I come by it naturally as my mom was a worrier too.  This week, I was driving to meet my coworkers for dinner after work when I received a call. It was my oldest son. 

"Mom did (little brother) text you.

 no, why?

Well, I fell asleep and when I woke up, he was gone.  

He never texts me, (Friends) were supposed to pick him up for youth group.  That's what he does every week! He only texts me if there is a change in plans. That's normal for him, so I'm sure he's at youth group now.  Is (the dog) there? 

Yeah, everything else is fine. Its' just, I was home and didn't hear him leave. So I don't know what happened.   

I am not worried about it, but if you are-- you can text your youth pastor to make sure he is there. 

Ok I will."


Uh oh.  Is he creating things to worry about (just like I do).  We need to have a chat and a prayer.  I know they see my worries, unreasonable fears and anxieties. How can I be a part of breaking this generational sin of worry? I don't want to see my children carry the same unnecessary stress that I do. I need to be intentional about allowing Jesus to write a different story for our family. For me, I need to make and remake a daily commitment to turn to Him, to His Word, and to trust.  No matter what trial or fear I am facing, the truth is God is with me. The truth is I have eternity with Him to look forward to. The truth is everything in this life is temporary. He is eternal. I need to stay focused on Him and my worries will fade. 

This week I will pray the following scriptures

 over my family.  I will share these Words with my husband and children and we will be intentional about Christ first- keeping our eyes on Him and not on our fears or stressors. 


Zephaniah 3:17

The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing. 


Psalm 56: 3-4

When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trus; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?


Philippians 4:6-7

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.


Joshua 1:9

Have I not commanded you: Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. 


John 16:33

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome this world. 

Comments

Popular Posts