Wednesday's Word: IDENTITY

Some of the definition includes:


the individual characteristics by which a person or thing is recognized; the condition of being oneself or itself, and not another; the condition or character as to who a person or what a thing is; the state or fact of being the same one as described.


Looking at this picture, where do you find your identity?  In what you do? In how you look?  In what you own?

Who are you?

Who am I?  I am a mom, wife, daughter, sister, friend, aunt, cousin, niece, Sunday School teacher, AWANA leader, reader, writer, blogger, student of the Word.  I cook, clean, do laundry, attend church and bible study..., ..., ...!!

But those are not who I am...
Last week I was challenged to dig into the Word and write out an identity statement.  Who I am in Christ!
I started out jotting down words, like I am...loved, accepted, protected, etc.  I prayed each day that God would give me the words He wanted me to carry as my identity.  Then Sunday morning, as I prayed again He poured into me amazing truths that turned into my "identity statement."  I know that this is who I am, and I want to be and act the same as He describes me!

Here is the identity statement that the Holy Spirit gave to me:

I am His.  I am purchased by His blood and called according to His purpose.  I am chosen, accepted, and worthy. I am wholly loved and never alone.  I have access to Him and can be bold and confident.  In Him, I have a hope, a purpose, and the power to fulfill it.  I am free and able.  I am to be used by Him.  I am His.  

I am working on compiling a set of scriptures to memorize and support my identity.  Scriptures like Romans 8:28, Philippians 4:13, Hebrews 4:16, Ephesians 2:10, Jeremiah 29:11, John 15:16...

Later the Lord challenged me with this thought: "if that is who you are, who does that make me?"  So I followed up with another short statement about who He is; however that statement is incomplete.  My former pastor gave us a list of over 600 names, titles, and characteristics of God!  But the point is--to truly know and live as who we are in Him, we Must know Him!

Daniel 11:32b says "They that know their God will be strong and do exploits!"  


Lord I want to know You.  I want to see You and hear You and know You.  I want to never doubt Your Presence.  Each day, Lord, help me to seek Your face, Your voice, Your power, Your will.  You are my All in All, the First and the Last.  Help me to really live and believe it.  Let Your light shine in me and through me. Make me more like You every day.  Help my to find my identity in You and not my circumstances.  You give me worth.  You are my Savior, my Lord and master, my protection, my Hope, my purpose, and my power.  You are working in me.   You are faithful and loving.  You are my guide.  You are my God!  I need You and I love You!

Comments

apple blossom said…
This post is so thought provoking thanks for posting it

Popular Posts