All the Light We Cannot See

All the Light We Cannot See has reignited my passion for books.  As I read this book, I stopped frequently to read a passage aloud or exclaim about the lyrical language or sensory experience a paragraph or chapter included.  Some of the phrases uttered while I read included, "it is like he cherry picked each word," or "I can't even imagine how long it must have taken him to write this book because it is perfect,' " I don't even think it is a stretch to guess that he must have taken10 years to write this book. the language is impeccable." The imagery is not only visual, but also includes scents and sounds, textures and tastes.  The use of language is incomparable.   

All the Light We Cannot See follows the lives of two individuals in the midst of trials and turmoil of WWII.  Marie-Laure loses her sight as a young girl growing up in Paris, but her father teacher her independence and problem solving, both vital skills with the coming threats.  Werner is drafted into the Nazi army as a young child because of his advanced knowledge and skill with radios.  Both experience a growing awareness of the disintegrating morals of the world around them.  Their vastly different adventures lead them both to Saint-Malo at the height of the conflict.  Different people come in and out of each of their lives contributing to their views and actions in unique ways, as the story moves to its conclusion. 

I cannot recommend this book enough. It is truly a work of art.  I am looking forward to watching the Netflix series.  I know that it can never do the writing justice, but I believe that I will enjoy watching it! 

What was your #1 book last year?


Comments

Popular Posts