Everyone who can Forgive me is Dead: Book Review

 

Everyone Who Can Forgive Me is Dead

Author: Jenny Hollander

Genre: Thriller

Page count: 304 pgs

However, I did listen to the audio book of this one! It is the first time in years that I've done an audio book. It helped pass the time on my drive to and from work. I really enjoyed it; however, I find that I process it differently and don't fully feel like I read the book.  I am a visual learner, so I have a little trouble assessing the "writing" having listened to it. 

Everyone who can Forgive me is Dead focuses on Charlotte Colbert, 10 years after her experience of tragedy and violence in what had been dubbed "Scarlet Christmas." A horrible Christmas Eve attack at her journalist school, where 3 of her classmates died. Charlotte moved on after the event with great difficulty and trials and now has a successful career.  As the 10 year anniversary nears, news of a film about the event emerges and Charlotte reaches crisis mode attempting to remember what really happened that night.  What was her involvement and how can she stop this movie from ruining all she has built.  

Hollander approaches the impact of trauma in a unique way, from the viewpoint of an individual who thought she had gotten past it and was living her life.  I am a certified trauma professional and I think Hollander gives an accurate portrayal of how this tragic event may have impacted one of the survivors. It is a fast paced novel and I was eager to find out the truth and to know if Charlotte is able to hold it together and really deal with her trauma narrative in a way that is healing. Would she run from the truth, try to hide it again or would she finally process things and take steps in the right direction?  I admit there were a couple of twists that I wasn't sure were necessary; however, it did not detract from the overall plot or character development. I would recommend this book to others, especially those who enjoy psychological thrillers.  

Comments

Popular Posts