Historical Childhood

 Something occurred to me today. 

What do you consider "historical fiction?" As one of my favorite genres, I often read WWII and older. I am currently listening to The Women, by Kristen Hannah set during the Vietnam War and reading a fiction inspired by Bonnie and Clyde of the late 20s, early 30s. Both of these are very clearly works of historical fiction. Everything that I have ever read that I have classified as historical fiction is set in times before I was born.

Today it hit me that books set in the 80s and 90s would also be considered historical fiction. A book about my childhood would be historical! It was 30-40 years ago in a very different culture and time than we live now.  

A time of metal playgrounds with slides and merry go rounds that burnt your skin. 

A time with no uber or doordash. I remember when the first fast food restaurant opened in our town! 

A time with no streaming services. We had 3 channels on our TV, and only watched Saturday morning cartoons and the occasional family sitcom (growing pains, Who's the boss, full house). Movies were watched at the theater or rented from the video store.  Trips to the Showtime Video or Family Video where my sister and I would pick out one movie each to rent for the next 2-3 days.   y to rent a second and third time. The rental place always sold theater snacks, so we'd often get a box md have a microwave growing up.  I honestly don't remember using it much. 

A time before kindles and e-readers and online textbooks. Trips to the library were even better than trips to the video store. We could keep books for 2-3 weeks. I would leave with a stack a was really great, but being older is okay too.  I am not embarrassed by my years. I have lived and loved and learned, and I'm still living and loving and learning. Age should continue to be honored. I hope to learn from those older than I am and pass on their wisdom to those younger than I.  

I am inspired by those who have lived before me: the true stories and the fictionalized ones. There is something inspirational in each one of us. Share your story. Shine your light. 


Image source: (ca. 1964) Highland Light, view A. North Truro Massachusetts, ca. 1964. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2005691094/.

Comments

Popular Posts