The Women

Title: The Women

Author: Kristin Hannah

Genre: historical fiction

Page Count:

Trigger Warning: combat, PTSD, adultery, language




This was my second audio of the year, and I do feel like it makes a difference in how I process the book. There were some repetitions in the language that may not have stuck out to me as much had I been reading in my head vs hearing it read aloud. 

Slight spoiler included:

The Women focuses on First Lieutenant, Frances McGrath, Army nurse, who serves 2 tours in Vietnam.  I love that this novel brings light to the brave women of this era that have been often overlooked and forgotten. I also love how the author depicts PTSD. We have learned so much about the trauma response in the last fifty years.  Hannah gives a very realistic portrayal that made me think about how much harder dealing with those symptoms would have been when there was very little awareness of what they were experiencing and why.  I love the journey that Frankie takes through processing her experiences in Vietnam to discovering herself and her purpose.  As mentioned above, there was a little bit of repetitive language, and I personally think it could have ended earlier because our main character had evolved past surviving to a place of thriving in her own identity and purpose. That being said, I do love a joyous ending, and I did appreciate the blessing and possibility given to Frankie (Frances) in the end.  

I think the real strength of this book is in the details. The Women gives its reader a clear depiction of sights, sounds, experiences and emotions of the turbulent late 60s and early 70s. It puts us into the shoes of the under-appreciated nurses of Vietnam who should absolutely be remembered as heroes along with the men who served and sacrificed during this conflict. 

And, I have to give a shout out to the inclusion of occupational therapy (I think it was around 67% in the audio). Not only does the book reference OT, but where Frankie ends up and what she ends up doing is all about the importance of finding occupations (not jobs) but hobbies, relationships and activities with meaning and purpose.  

I would recommend this book AND I do have another Kristin Hannah book on my TBR. I really want to read The Nightingale. Have you read either? What are your thoughts? Or do you have another favorite by her? Let me know. 




Comments

Popular Posts