The Midnight Library: BOOK REVIEW

 Title: The Midnight Library

Author: Matt Haig

Genre: Fantasy, Magical Realism, contemporary

Page Count: 304

Trigger Warning: Suicide attempt


4.5 stars


I like this one. It is such a great idea and deals with the important topic of regrets. I admit to stumbling over the British English at the beginning, phrases like "was sat." Nora Seed has a lot of regrets. She is done with regrets and takes matters into her own hands; however, somewhere in between life and death she finds the Midnight Library and gets to "try on" different lives, different "what ifs." 

 This is a fast read, written in quick chapters; and it made me think.  For example, what is one "regret" that I might want to explore the possibility.  The first thing that came to mind was, that I had a chance to do an internship at the Dolphin Research Institute.  In undergrad, I had written a thesis on dolphin assisted therapy that led to my applying, and I got a call back. However, my advisor was out of the country, and I didn't attempt to contact him or another professor for a reference. Thus not really pursuing the opportunity. I wouldn't actually count it as a regret though, and I wouldn't want to trade in my current life for any other alternative. But is interesting to think about how one small decision could change the trajectory of many different people and events. 

Definitely one to add to your TBR, and I may have to explore what else Haig has written!  

Comments

Popular Posts