Book Sound Tracks

 I am not a film connoisseur. I like movies, my favorite of which is Life is Beautiful, and tv shows (West Wing, Gilmore Girls, Bones, Big Bang Theory). I guess I just take for granted the elements that make a good film.  For example, sound effects and music are vital, but when I'm watching something, I don't think about it.  

Just today, my daughter was watching Criminal Minds in the next room and I could hear it, but not see it.  There was a change in music, the dissonance in the chords was all that I needed to know that the criminal was on screen, doing something nefarious.  When she watches this series, she has admitted to sometimes turning off the sound and adding her own commentary to the visuals to decrease the fear impact.  The idea is genius, instead of footsteps running away, gasps of fear or pain and creepy instrumentals, she captions the scene "She's wearing nikes. They help her move fast. The trees are blurry as she speeds past them. Oh she tripped. She's down. He's gaining on her and he's got her." Scene change, back to the BAU, volume up, as the team discusses the case. 

Have you ever thought about what the soundtrack to the book you are reading would be? What music would be playing during this scene or the opening credits? What sound effects would play as your character makes dinner for her family, orders a drink at the bar, or rushes into the office late in the morning?  Do you hear the sounds and music as you read? I definitely get immersed in the book I'm reading, but I don't think I "hear" a soundtrack as I read. I wish I did. 



Comments

Popular Posts