Word of the Week: persnickety

 First of all, how many of you knew how to spell persnickety? I didn't, I thought it was "ity." I chose this word because I think it's fun. I like the connotation and the way it sounds. 



Defined as: fussy about small details

                    having the characteristics of a snob

                    requiring great precision






Scripture verses: I don't really think any version of the Bible includes the word "persnickety" but if you have come across it (maybe in the Message or something like that) please let me know

Quotes:

I take a ridiculous pleasure in what I eat and drink. It comes partly from being a bachelor, but mostly from a habit of taking a lot of trouble over details. It's very persnickety and old-maidish really, but then when I'm working I generally have to eat my meals along and it makes them more interesting when one takes trouble.   -- Ian Fleming


I wish I was one of those persnickety types who buys guideboks and studies them, but I don't have the inclination or the time. I'm more of a 'get on the plane, arrive at the destination and see what happens' kind of traveler. -- Candace Bushnell

 


Fun synonyms: fussbudgety, finicky, old-maidish and niminy-piminy

How I wish I lived in a world that uses words like persnickety and niminy-piminy, Don't you? Have you ever used either one or heard either used. Both are fabulous and fun vocab to have up your sleeve!  

Enjoy! 

Comments

Popular Posts